Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Houston Flute Fest

On Saturday, March 10th, I attended the Houston Flute Fest hosted by the Houston Flute Club. I spent most of my time in the Judges' Room making sure the judges for the Denise Jennings Solo & Ensemble contest were taken care of. I have volunteered as the judging coordinator for that event for the past two Flute Fests. It's been a neat experience, and I enjoy being able to spend time with Houston area flutists.

Jill Felber was the guest artist this year and it was wonderful to be able to hear her play. She played a few fusion pieces that I would really like to get my hands on. She seemed like a really cute lady, and hearing her play made me want to go home and practice again. It made me realize that I miss performing, and I started to fantasize about auditioning for my DMA at her school. I don't even know if her school offers the DMA degree, but I imagined what it would be like to study with her anyway. I was very inspired.

Because I had to return to the Judges' Room at a certain time, I had to leave the recital early. On my way back to the room, I passed my former flute teacher Aralee Dorough. It was so good to see her again, even if it was only for about thirty seconds. I really miss her!

I also snuck out for a little while to attend a short class on caring for your flute taught by Bobbi Prewitt. I really like her. She seems fun.

Once the contest was over and the winners were picked, I was able to return home to my baby girl. Once I saw her again, all those ideas of practicing three hours a day went out the window! There's something about becoming a mommy that has made me much rather play with her than practice my flute. Hopefully one day I will remember the love that I had for my flute and for performing, but for now, playing with babies definitely takes the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment